Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Fun Easter Project

Here is a fun Easter project that Tommy did with Grandma Jan last year and I am attempting again this year.  I am sure Grandma Jan's eggs will surpass mine, but here goes nothing...

First these are pictures of Grandma Jan and Tommy's eggs from last year:
We added the egg feet, but they were a fun to have around the house.

Egg with glasses

They were fantastic centerpieces to our Easter Brunch last year.

So I forgot that last years' eggs were brown and I bought white.  But then I decided that was okay, I would color the eggs.  So then of course I had to talk with Grandma Jan to figure out what to do next.  She said last year she hard boiled the eggs and then took off the top and scooped the eggs out.  So that is what I did. 

Of course I googled how to hard boil the perfect egg...because every year, I tend to forget.  I put the eggs in the pot and filled with cold water.  I added one tsp. of salt and 1Tbsp of vinegar and then brought it to a boil.  Once at a boil, I removed from heat and covered the pot and timed it for 15minutes.  Then I transferred the eggs into an ice bath with a slotted spoon.  The resulting eggs were perfect...I know because one of them broke in the transfer process...so I had a lovely afternoon snack. 


Then we colored the eggs.  Tommy had a hard time understanding (as any 4 year old would) why we needed to leave them in the dye so long, but I LOVED the color they became.


Once those colors had dried, I used a sharp large knife and somewhat sawed a circle at the top of each egg and then slightly tapped the circle until it broke off.  Then I used a small spoon (we have multiple types of baby spoons) to scoop out the middles...I tried to be careful not to get shell fragments in there because then I could use the insides to make egg salad.  YUMMMMM! - which happened to be my lunch today.


Don't mind the baby on the table...I promise I was watching her!

The color somewhat crackled (don't even know if that is a word), but I kind of think it is pretty and will hopefully act like hair for my faces when I draw them on with Sharpie color.


Then today I inserted cotton balls and grass seed (thanks Mikey for picking that up for me) and put a bit of water in there...so hopefully next week I will send everyone pictures of lush green haired egg heads. 



Cheers to fun projects!  (Thanks Grandma Jan!!!)

1 comment: