Saturday, June 2, 2012

Refelctions on Wee Wisdom Preschool

I went to Wee Wisdom for the first time in January of 2010 because of the wonderful recommendation by my friend Heather Wolf.  She raved about this preschool program and so of course I had to check it out. 

At that time, Tommy was attending Day School for Toddlers which was a great program, but it was for kids that were 18 months-4yrs and more of a daycare situation.  While Tommy was at Day School one day, little baby Morgan (4 months old at the time) and I went to visit Wee Wisdom.  Immediately when I walked into Wee Wisdom, I knew it would be a great place for Tommy.  Everyone was so nurturing and the kids were having a great time.  I signed him up on the spot to start there in the fall of 2010.

Tommy was ready for his first day of true preschool at Wee Wisdom in September 2010.

Tommy's first day of preschool at Wee Wisdom


He was in the 3yr old class that attended school on Tuesday and Thursday from 9AM-11:15AM.  This gave me enough time to either attend a Stroller Strides class or teach a Stroller Strides class.  It did not necessarily give me enough time to shower, so I generally picked Tommy up fairly disheveled.  Tommy loved going to school and always wanted to stay longer!  To me it seemed like many of the parents of the kids in Tommy's class had been there before (with their older children) and somewhat knew each other.  I know it does not seem like me, but I was very intimidated by this and pretty much was a wall flower Tommy's first year.  I helped out when I could, but I did have Morgan who at that time was not able to just hang out.  But all in all, it was a great year!  Tommy made some great friends and he was really looking forward to being in the 4yr old class.

In September 2011, Tommy started the 4yr old class at Wee Wisdom.  The 4yr old class was Monday, Wednesday and Friday.  Along with school from 9AM-11:30AM, the 4yr old class was able to participate in lunch bunch which was from 11:30AM-12:30PM.  Tommy wanted to stay and eat lunch with his friends and I was more than happy to pack a lunch and have the extra hour...I can really accomplish a lot with that extra hour.  Tommy was so happy to be back at school with his friends and also made some new friends with kids that joined their class. 

Tommy and Morgan on the first day 2011

Tommy, Tanner and Morgan - Look Tommy and Tanner have the same shoes!

Tommy and Teacher Boyd the first day of 2011 school year.
I also was feeling more comfortable as I somewhat knew what was going on and knew most of the parents.  Morgan was also a bit more self-sufficient, so it was easier for me to help out in the classroom.  I stopped teaching Stroller Strides, so that helped in my flexibility of being able to stay and help.  I grew to LOVE this school even more.  I was able to get to know all of the teachers and staff better than I had the previous year.  The more I spent time with these wonderful ladies, the more I realized this was the best possible experience that I could give my child/children. 

Tommy and his friend Sarah harvesting at the garden that they planted in spring of 2011.
I am not sure if it is because I had less going on this past year or if Tommy was at school more, but I felt more and more connected to Wee Wisdom.  Tommy's friendships blossomed and he became really close to both Tanner and Dean (two boys in his class). 

There was also the budding romance/friendship between and Tommy and Isabelle.   It was pretty cute because Tommy talked about Isabelle a ton and I think Isabelle talked about Tommy a lot too. 
Tommy and Isabelle
Every time I came to pick Tommy up, there would be some sort of story about what Tommy had done that day.  Some were funny, some embarrassing, but some were very touching.  Here are just a few of the stories:

  • They would play a game in class with the little magnetic letters and they would spell something and then ask what is this word?  Tommy chose the lower case light blue letter "f" and when asked what word the "f" stands for, Tommy said "f" is for Facebook - oops, guess mom is on Facebook a little too much!
  • Another time we were asked to bring in grocery advertisements from the newspaper.  They were instructed to cut out as many items as they were old.  Tommy, who was 5 at the time, needed to cut out 5 items.  Tommy cut 5 out in a row because he just wanted to be done - of course the 5 items were beer, wine and other alcoholic beverages...talk about embarrassing!
  • When Tommy's class was doing the circus unit, Tommy was very concentrated on winning as many tickets as he could (think carnival games where you win tickets to get prizes).  He did every game he could to win a ticket...I think most of the tickets were from bowling, but regardless Tommy ended up with about 24 tickets. Most of the kids had around 4 or 5 tickets. Time ran out to "spend" the tickets for prizes that day, so the kids were instructed to leave their tickets in their mailboxes.  Tommy left his in his mailbox and the next class time, it was time to redeem tickets.  Well some of the kids had taken their tickets home so they did not have tickets.  Teacher Boyd left the room to get tickets for the kids that had taken their tickets home.  When she came back, she asked Tommy how many tickets he had...he said 4.  He had given his tickets out to his friends that did not have tickets.  Of course when she was telling me this story, my eyes filled with tears because I was so happy my child had been so generous and full of grace.   
Part of the room decorated for the circus day!

More of the room decorated for circus day!
Tommy's years at Wee Wisdom has filled him with such love and respect for his friends, his teachers and his family.  Wee Wisdom is such a warm and caring environment, but the wonderful staff does not let him get away with his MANY shenanigans. 

Tommy at the Children's Museum Field trip

Morgan is dressed in Wee Wisdom wear as well at the Children's Museum Field trip.

The other amazing that happened this past year is I became better friends with not only the staff, but also the other parents/caregivers.  I have made some friendships that I know will last!

Mrs. Boyd, Mrs. Hedin, Mrs. Fillinger, Mrs. Kepner and Mrs. Abeyta, you are all the most amazing teachers and we feel so lucky and thankful to have spent the last two years with you all.  I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for preparing my son to be the best he can be and getting him ready for kindergarten.  We look forward to Morgan's attendance in September 2013 and we will definitely come in for some Wee Wisdom love and playtime throughout this next school year!


Tommy's end of the year picture that says at the top: "there are only two lasting bequests We can hope to give our children: One is roots...The other is wings"


Cheers to an amazing preschool experience which prepares us all for the next step!

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to Wee Wisdon. Thank you, Steph, for sharing.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete